[Beowulf] Re: Cooling vs HW replacement

Toon Moene toon at moene.indiv.nluug.nl
Fri Jan 21 14:38:47 PST 2005

David Mathog wrote:

>>On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Robert G. Brown	wrote

>>Has anyone observed that a megahour is 114 years?  Has anyone observed
>>that this is so ludicrous a figure as to be totally meaningless?  Show
>>me a single disk on the planet that will run, under load, for a mere two
>>decades and I'll bow down before it and start sacrificing chickens.
>
> ROTFLMAO

It's not nearly as bad as a manager at my Institute (KNMI - the Dutch
Weather Service) noting that a particular piece of measuring equipment
had a 98 % up time - which meant that it would be down a week per year,
and most probably *the* week in the year where it was most needed (i.e.,
a temperature sensor in winter close to 0 degrees Centigrade), because
.... sensors are weather-dependent equipment just as well.

:-)

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: toon at moene.indiv.nluug.nl - phone: +31 346 214290
A maintainer of GNU Fortran 95: http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/