[Beowulf] Writing MPICH2 programs

Tom Crick tc at cs.bath.ac.uk
Fri Jan 21 01:52:28 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 18:46, Rusty Lusk wrote:
> From: Tom Crick <tc at cs.bath.ac.uk>
>
> > Are there any resources for writing MPICH2 programs? I've found the MPICH2
> > User's Guide (Argonne National Laboratory), but haven't been able to find any
> > decent material detailing the approaches and methods to writing programs for
> > MPICH2.
>
> MPICH2 is one implementation of MPI, which is an API for writing
> parallel programs.  I think what you want is help with writing MPI
> programs, which then will run on any MPI implementation, including
> MPICH2.

Ah ok, I had misunderstood the relevance of MPI and MPICH. Yes, I need
help in writing MPI programs! I don't want to write a normal C program
for a task and then convert it to work with MPI; it makes sense to
design for MPI from the start.

> Our own contribution in this area (plug alert!) is the pair of books,
> "Using MPI" (Gropp, Lusk, and Skjellum), and "Using MPI-2" (Gropp, Lusk,
> Thakur), There are other good books and book chapters around as well.

Thanks for the recommendation (and from Robert Brown) - I'd found these
books on Amazon when I was searching for resources yesterday, so I'll
check them out.

Has anyone written any nice MPI test programs that I could use to test
my cluster? I've been using the ones given with the MPICH2 distribution,
but it'd be good to try some others.

Thanks,

Tom Crick
tc at cs.bath.ac.uk