[Beowulf] grid

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Tue Jan 4 07:56:51 PST 2005

Just a clarification ...

The Windows execution clients for Grid Engine are not going to be part
of the "free" Grid Engine software stack. They will come bundled with
the commercially licensed version of SGE sold by Sun Microsystems (they
call the product "N1 Grid Engine 6". The last unofficial word I heard on
the state of this effort was "end of 2004" -- no word yet on when in '05
we'll see anything.

Sun started this trend when SGE went to version 6.0 -- in the current
version of "N1 Grid Engine 6" (aka "SGE 6.0u1") there are additional
accounting and reporting tools not found in the open source product. I'm
pleased that they are doing it this way -- the core Grid Engine codebase
remains free and of amazing quality and Sun gets to make some money by
selling add-on modules delivering extra functionality presumably to the
enterprise folks who need the layered products.

-Chris

--
Chris Dagdigian, <dag at sonsorol.org>
BioTeam  - Independent life science IT & informatics consulting