[Beowulf] real hard drive failures

Pete Lancashire nix at petelancashire.com
Sat Feb 5 10:07:56 PST 2005

The nice thing and about the only nice thing about using
a fan is in this case, the failure of a fan is not going
to kill you. If your mother board has a 3-wire fan 'port'
not used you can have it report failure.

In the past I've built using a 8pin MicroChip a simple
failure detector. I would think with some imagination
you could take a 555 + transistor + pizo buzzer and
create a simple alarm.

Another thing to use but I've not seen as an individual
item is a heat sink. The Sun SPUD brackets come with a
plate that attaches to the bottom of the drive, the plate
has been punched with hmmm .. louvers ?.

-pete "ah the days of so many fans you could not hear yourself talk"