[Beowulf] Prioritising Pending Jobs from different queues

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Wed Dec 14 02:08:21 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 20:12 -0500, Chris Dagdigian wrote:

> Grid Engine is just different enough from PBS/Torque/LSF that mapping
> things into clear queues sorted by priority is <ahem> an interesting
> exercise. Generally speaking, the preferred behavior with SGE is that
> users should request the resources that their job needs in order to
> be successful and the SGE scheduler will actually sort out the most
> preferred queue. The term 'queue' means different things on an LSF
> system vs a SGE system, and SGE best practices gently discourage most
> users from thinking of queues at all.
Indeed - there is only one 'queue' of waiting jobs, and they are sorted
in priority, ie. the one nearest the top will be the next to run.

> On Dec 5, 2005, at 7:34 AM, Jenno Claesson wrote:

> > My question surrounds the submission of jobs into two separate queues,
> > assuming I have only one host on which to run the jobs.
> >
> > If I have two queues, is there a way that I can have jobs submitted
> > in one
> > queue, run before jobs that were previously submitted in another
> > queue.
I think you could achieve this behaviour by defining two queues, say
'all.q' (which is the default queue) and 'urgent.q'
Make all.q a subordinate to urgent.q
So jobs which are submitted to urgent.q will suspend other jobs.

Use qconf -mq urgent.q and edit the subordinate_list