[Beowulf] Compare and contrast MPI implementations

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pathscale.com
Tue Dec 13 23:00:43 PST 2005

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 01:16:21PM -0800, David Mathog wrote:

> What advantages and disadvantages do each of these have?

I see no one else wants to volunteer to answer this one... my
impression has been that the reason some folks suggest using LAM is
mainly because LAM has a better tcp driver than MPICH-1 has. Other
than that there isn't much difference. Just looking at an strace of
what MPICH-1 does gives me the willies. But I don't think that means
anything is wrong with the overall design, it's just some
implementation details gone wrong in that one device. I've never
looked at MPICH-2's tcp driver, perhaps it's better.

> Are the MPI 2 standards fully backwards compatible with code written
> to the MPI 1.2 standard?

Yep.

-- greg