[Beowulf] A fairly simple question

C. Ahmet MERCAN ahmet.mercan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 23:32:04 PDT 2005

hi;

if you just want to learn parallel programming, of course  you can run
multiple mpi task on single cpu. But this solution does not gives you
any experiences about real cluster administration / programming. because
it does not need to share users and files using a server. also you can
not aware authentication (such as ssh) problems. and also you can't
learn network settings. I said that it is simple solution because you
can try what you want without worrying about system settings. if it mess
up, you can restart/reinstall your virtual system, without breaking your
other daily jobs.

these advantages are for only educational purpose (as i said
previously). You can't expect performance from virtual cluster as like
as real one.

regards...

Cem Ahmet MERCAN