[Beowulf] Help with getting mpich1 to use ssh... woes :S

Cheng, Kevin kc40 at hw.ac.uk
Tue Aug 2 17:00:04 PDT 2005

Does anyone know how to make mpich-1 use ssh instead of rsh? I have read in the documentation that I could set the environmental variable P4_RSHCOMMAND to ssh. So I type:

export P4_RSHCOMMAND=ssh
mpirun  -machinefile 4slaves -np 4 mbm_client

[kc40 at slave mbm_client]$ mpirun -machinefile 4slaves -np 4 mbm_client
connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
Trying krb4 rsh...
connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
trying normal rsh (/usr/bin/rsh)
connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
Trying krb4 rsh...
connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
trying normal rsh (/usr/bin/rsh)
connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
Trying krb4 rsh...
connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
trying normal rsh (/usr/bin/rsh)
C - 0, Started up & running...
C - 1, Started up & running...
C - 2, Started up & running...
C - 3, Started up & running...

As you can see, I get 2 "Connection refused" for each rank > 0 rsh. But it eventually gets rsh connection somehow. If numProcs > 6 then no one gets a rsh connection. Hence I can't continue my project effectively testing on >30 numProcs.

Help