[Beowulf] active process

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Aug 2 10:15:07 PDT 2005

Ru-Zhen,

are you starting a program which is prepared for parallel execution and
well integrated into PBS or any other queuing system? No magic will
execute a serial application in parallel just by requesting more nodes
in PBS - as I understand your question in this way. The only thing PBS
can do in this case is to reserve the nodes and start the main
script/job of a parallel application on one node. But all the processes
on the slave nodes must be initiated by the application on it's own -
perhaps by using a parallel lib like MPI, PVM, Linda, Charm++,
GlobalArrays... and revised program coding according to those libs.

Cheers - Reuti