[Beowulf] hmm, mpich2 woes :O

Robert Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Aug 1 07:41:53 PDT 2005

On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 07:34:44AM +0100, Cheng, Kevin  wrote:
> I think I messed up my MPICH2 installations. I installed MPICH2 on
> my master PC in /usr/local (default), and on my slave PC in
> /usr/local/mpich2. I see when I try mpdboot -n 2 -f mpd.hosts, it
> complains not finding mpd in the corresponding folders. I assume
> both PCs must have the same mpich2 folder setup.

it's more convienent to have mpich2 installed to the same place on all
nodes, but as long as you set up your environment variables correctly
it shouldn't matter.

As the MPICH2 README points out (7.  Add the bin subdirectory of the
installation directory to your path:), on your master you need to add
/usr/local/bin to your path (well, actually, it's already there) and
on the slaves add /usr/local/mpich2/bin to your path.

You'll have to add this to an init script that's sourced whenever a
non-login shell is started.  (.zshenv, .bashrc, .profile... depends on
your shell)

We should continue this discussion on mpich-discuss at mcs.anl.gov if you
continue to have difficulty.

==rob

--
Rob Latham
Argonne National Labs, IL USA                B29D F333 664A 4280 315B