[Beowulf] Upgrading to gigabit

Nate Faerber nfaerber at penguincomputing.com
Wed Apr 27 08:39:00 PDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-24 at 09:06 -0400, Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:
> Joe Landman wrote:
>
> I heard the tg3 driver was awful. I don't have any experience with it
> though. Doug and I have had pretty good luck with the Intel NICs
> (we're using them in Kronos). They are pretty cheap right now.

The tg3 *is* awful.  Unfortunately, RHEL 3 Update 4 and RHEL 4 only ship
with the tg3 driver and it may not work with your Broadcom chip.  Check
out Red Hat's Bugzilla for all of the tg3 complaints.

That is not to say the Broadcom chip is bad.  Our experience with the
bcm5700 driver available directly from Broadcom has been very good.  For
this reason, Scyld Beowulf ships with the bcm5700 driver rather than the
tg3 driver.

--
Nate Faerber, Senior Engineer - Clusters
Tel: 415-954-2866   Fax: 415-954-2899   Toll Free: 888-PENGUIN