[Beowulf] vectors vs. loops

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Apr 27 04:53:05 PDT 2005

Hi Vincent:

   As I am sure you are well aware, not all algorithms map well into a
distributed framework.  Some algorithms require huge global shared
memories.  Some require extremely low latency interconnects.  Modern
clusters with very low latency (single digit microsecond) high bandwidth
(substantial fraction of 1 GB/s) inteconnection fabrics can work quite
well on a rather large subset of problems.  It is not possible to run
every code on them though.

   As for rewriting, that may be a good point.  To make the best use of
a particular architecture, you need to adapt your algorithms to take
advantage of the features you have available.  Unfortunately, there is a
time cost to adaptation, and also a productivity loss as you have to
spend your time (a zero sum game) verifying results as well as porting.
  So, again as with other problems, it becomes a cost-benefit problem.
The millions of $/euros/...  spent on maintaining systems may be small
compared to the costs of rewriting.  Not everything is as simple as drop
in an FFT library.

   Moreover, things like the Cell architecture are interesting, but the
point I was trying to make is that compilers need to become very smart
to hide the complexity of how you need to program it.  This is true of
many architectures.  Sure, you could write all of your algorithms in
Assembly if you want.  Wouldn't be portable, but they would be fast (I
tend to note that this "Law" indicates that portable codes are not fast,
and fast codes are not portable).

   It would be risky to assume that the Cell will auto-magically run
your codes 10x or 100x faster without significant effort to make them
adapt to the underlying architecture.