[Beowulf] Is Beowulf the right solution for my problem ?

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Fri Apr 22 08:21:08 PDT 2005

A beowulf will work; you just need to complement it with a "distributed
resource management" layer such as Grid Engine which will schedule and
farm out your non-parallel tasks to the other COW nodes. These sorts of
systems are great for handling large volumes of serial tasks, especially
the 'not so parallelized' applications.

Grid Engine really is (in my opinion) the best free product for this
situation, especially for life science use cases and workflows.

If you have a political problem with this you may want to have a
discussion about "what is more important: politics or doing research?"
within your organization. Especially if the political problem is coming
from a hardware vendor or IT supplier or something equally silly.

You can choose a less capable system (openpbs) or you can pay money for
an excellent commercial solution (Platform LSF). Your call. I'd suggest
researching Grid Engine further before you dismiss it as a possibility.

My $.02 of course!

-Chris