[Beowulf] New Dollars per GFLOPS Record

Tim Mattox tmattox at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 11:14:06 PDT 2005

Congratulations Doug and Jeff!

I have been surprised at how long it's taken for someone
to build (or maybe announce?) a better $/GFLOPS rating
for a cluster running HPL.

I can speculate that the reason is that 90nm chip manufacturing
hit snags across the entire industry, slowing down the march
of Moore's law of faster CPUs for lower prices.

On I think a related note: if anyone cares to look, the
Gordon Bell Price/Performance award at the SC'XY conferences
has not been awarded in quite some time.  I wonder if that will
change this November.

--
Tim Mattox - tmattox at gmail.com - http://homepage.mac.com/tmattox/