[Beowulf] Fwd: Recycling old nodes without poisoning Indian chlidren (fwd)

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Sat Apr 16 08:26:25 PDT 2005

Apropos of the discussion to help Jeff write his next column (I'm
jealous -- I still gotta do MINE:-) I'm offering the following, which is
a column-in-a-box on this sent to me by a couple of folks last year who
wanted/want to see this added to my online book as well.  So Jeff can
use this (and should! CWM is a great venue for making this information
available) under the condition that I ALSO get to put it into my book as
of the next revision.

Note that there is more than just this, and that that recycling old
nodes is often not free.  Minimally you have to ship nodes to where they
can be recycled safely.  Duke doesn't AFAIK actually ship old PCB's for
recycling, but they do recycle all CRT monitors (which have leaded
screens) and currently charge a $10/monitor handling fee back to the
grants for this purpose.  A University COULD manage full recycling of
all Unversity-owned equipment by adding a surcharge like this, but I
personally would prefer that this all be bundled together and charged
when the hardware is initially purchased simply because the grant that
purchased hardware is likely all finished 3-4 years later in any given
grant cycle.

A few other notes from this series of exchanges will follow without
additional explanation.

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu