[Beowulf] OS for 64 bit AMD

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Apr 6 07:43:08 PDT 2005

SSI is hard to do right.  You really need help at the bios level of each
node (at boot up they join a master graph/data structure that abstractly
represents the hardware).  DSM's reside atop this.  Linux can DSM just
fine (look at the Altix).  Scyld doesn't do DSM but they do SSI.

So far on the Debian side, I have been fairly impressed with Ubuntu in
terms of packaging and ease of install.  If we were asked to build
Debian or Debian based machines, this is likely what we would prefer to
use.  It installed without a hitch on machines that gave other
distributions migranes and worse.  Personally I like the idea of a
knoppix variant as a core (minimal core OS installed per machine), and
layered bits upon that.  I know there is a clusterknoppix and quantian.

I am sorry to hear about the broken drivers in FC-2.  FC-3 seemed to fix
some of the borked drivers.  Lots of closed source ones also released
around then to accomodate the changes to the kernel.  You might try FC-3
as well.

If you find the distro you like, you might want to have a look at
Warewulf atop that as a cluster meta-distro.

Joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO