[Beowulf] OS for 64 bit AMD

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pathscale.com
Mon Apr 4 19:44:55 PDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 02:06:52PM -0400, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> The only way RH could
> avoid it is to either run a twinned kernel configuration with the change
> backed off or to freeze on a legacy kernel, both of which are such
> stellarly bad ideas that I hope there is no need to even discuss them.

I thought 4k stacks was a kernel *option*, and that 8k stacks are
still expected to work. Certainly lots of websites advocated rebuilding
your kernel with 8k stacks as a workaround to busted drivers. So no,
it isn't as dire as you make it out to be.

By the way, one legit reason to be disturbed by FC-X is that Red Hat
simply doesn't fix broken stuff. I opened 3 bugzilla bugs for FC-1;
one example is that xpdf was misconfigured and so unusual fonts didn't
work right.  All 3 were closed with "Fixed in FC-2". This is not good
support, but then again Red Hat didn't promise much in Fedora. And I
learned to avoid wasting my time filing bugs against Fedora, so we all
won.

-- greg