[Beowulf] OS for 64 bit AMD

Toon Moene toon at moene.indiv.nluug.nl
Mon Apr 4 13:51:27 PDT 2005

Joe Landman wrote:

> Hi Bob:
>
>   My main thesis really is that FC-x != FC-(x+1) in terms of core
> interfaces.  As we have read from Toon, gcc4.0 won't have a g77 (for
> good reasons), and FC4 will be using gcc4.0.   gcc4.0 != gcc 3.4.

For maximum clarity:  A GNU/Linux *distributor* can still decide to have
gcc4.0 as its main compiler and offering gcc3.4 (with g77) in
/opt/{bin,lib,man,info}.

In fact, that is what we have been advocating on the GCC mailing lists
for some time now.

Hope this helps,

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: toon at moene.indiv.nluug.nl - phone: +31 346 214290