[Beowulf] OS for 64 bit AMD

David Kewley kewley at gps.caltech.edu
Fri Apr 1 21:55:35 PST 2005

Joe Landman wrote on Friday 01 April 2005 17:20:
> Mark Hahn wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >>   I am sure others will take issue with this, but I would strongly
> >>advise against using a rolling beta OS (FC-x) as the basis for a
> >>production cycle machine.  If it is a purely experimental cluster, go
> >
> > calling a non-test FC release "beta" is just plain petty;
> > all software is beta by that definition.
>
> Not at all.  This is a direct quote from http://fedora.redhat.com
>
> "The Fedora Project is a Red-Hat-sponsored and community-supported open
> source project. It is also a proving ground for new technology that may
> eventually make its way into Red Hat products. It is not a supported
> product of Red Hat, Inc."
>
> It is by Redhat's definition, a rolling beta (proving ground).

It's somewhere between beta and a product.

Like a beta: Proving ground; packages often upgraded within one release cycle;
rapid lifecycles, cutting-edge packages (in part); no support; no guarantee
of stability (in fact expect them to break things regularly :)

Like a product: Has defined releases; effort is put into making those releases
somewhat stable, at least more stable that pure devel code ("rawhide") or
pure betas (FC4-test1)

David