[Beowulf] OS for 64 bit AMD

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Fri Apr 1 17:20:53 PST 2005

Mark Hahn wrote:

[...]

>>   I am sure others will take issue with this, but I would strongly
>>advise against using a rolling beta OS (FC-x) as the basis for a
>>production cycle machine.  If it is a purely experimental cluster, go
>

> calling a non-test FC release "beta" is just plain petty;
> all software is beta by that definition.

Not at all.  This is a direct quote from http://fedora.redhat.com

"The Fedora Project is a Red-Hat-sponsored and community-supported open
source project. It is also a proving ground for new technology that may
eventually make its way into Red Hat products. It is not a supported
product of Red Hat, Inc."

It is by Redhat's definition, a rolling beta (proving ground).

That said, FC-3 was actually pretty nice.  Broke X on my old laptop (and
my new one come to think of it), and that took some time to work through.

My customers care about running on distributions (whoops, there we go
with that word again) on which their apps are supported.  I am not aware
of active support for FC-x for applications from commercial program
providers.  If I am incorrect about this, please let me know (seriously,
as FC-3++ looks to be pretty good).  I do know PathScale and Portland
Group are passively/actively supporting their compilers, and may support
FC-x.  They might know better as to whom is building to target FC-x.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com