[Beowulf] x86-64 NUMA vs SMP kernel: appl. performance?

Michael Will mwill at penguincomputing.com
Fri Sep 24 11:21:00 PDT 2004

I benchmarked a neuronal network training program for a customer on a 2-CPU
opteron system with SLES8. Running it over and over again produced two distinct
timing values, independend on which CPU it actually ran on. What really happened
was that the additional latency incurred when the code ran on CPU A but the
RAM was allocated on the RAM attached to CPU B (or vice versa) slowed down
things by 15%.

Instead of using a NUMA aware kernel we just used a bios feature of the mainboard
that configures it as 'node interleaved memory access' striping the address space
across both RAM banks rather than having two distinct continous blocks of RAM,
averaging out the effect.

I too would be interested in newer experiments with the NUMA enabled kernels,
since it could give you a 5-7% speed advantage over the simpler SMP assumption.

Michael Will