[Beowulf] A Good Linux Distribution to Start with?

Weijia Kuang kuang at bowie.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Sep 9 13:15:25 PDT 2004

But we have compatibility problem to install PVFS to our cluster (that
uses FC2).
Any suggestion?  Weijia Kuang

Robert G. Brown wrote:

>On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Dragovich, Jeff wrote:
>

>>I am at the point in my beowulf cluster construction where I need to
>>pick the Linux distribution to use. I have a small cluster (10 nodes,
>>CISCO switch, a single control machine). The cluster will support
>>parallelizing/benchmarking a finite element program using MPI. I am
>>currently the only prospective user, and don't need sendmail and a bunch
>>of that stuff. Just dev tools.
>>
>>Any comments on which Linux flavor to start with? I've read some jabs at
>>Fedora. Can't find a FAQ (after about 4 hours of searching) that really
>>discusses the pros and cons of each Linux variant related to Beowulf
>>clusters. I know religion is a hot topic, but please don't flame the
>>agnostic. :)
>>
>>Jeff
>>

>I don't think this is addressed not because it gets religious but
>because you can do perfectly satisfactory clustering with any
>distribution.  Many or even most distributions support at least basic
>clustering (with PVM and MPI) right in the distribution itself, so it is
>just a matter of selecting the packages for installation and then
>learning to use them.  Of course all of them support raw network
>programming at the socket level.  Higher end cluster tools are often
>also available for many of the distributions or are at worst a rebuild
>away.
>
>Fedora core 1 had issues, but FC2 is working pretty well for us here,
>both on desktops and (so far) on cluster nodes including opterons.
>
>Centos (logo-free RHEL rebuild, stays within hours to days of RHEL at
>the logoless package level) should work as well as RHEL, obviously, and
>Red Hat itself (if you don't mind paying them on a per-node basis at
>fairly absurd rates) has always been a decent package to use for
>clustering.  SuSE ditto -- lots of turnkey vendors use SuSE as a basis.
>Mandrake ditto -- it has its (IIRC) "CLIC" cluster-specific packaging.
>In both of these latter two cases there are again issues of licensing
>and charges on a per node or per cluster basis.  On the non-RPM-based
>front, Debian is totally open and free and is certainly used in
>clusters.  On the non-linux (but still totally open source) front,
>freebsd is used successfully in clusters.
>
>There are a number of so-called "cluster distributions" to choose from
>as well.  OSCAR is an older one that I'm not sure is still being loved
>by anyone.  ROCKS is a newer one, built on top of (IIRC) a RH 9 (?)
>release and maybe moving towards centos or FC?  CLIC I mentioned.  Scyld
>is a commercial but very powerful and well-supported "beowulf in a box"
>distribution, I believe derived from a RH variant these days but am not
>sure.  Scyld can cost a lot for full support and everything, but for
>somebody doing what you are doing (basically learning/playing more or
>less out of pocket) they might give you a significant break.
> [...]

Numerical Simulation: I see, I analyze, I recreate

Unless specified, any opinion expressed in this
email is not that of NASA

Dr. Weijia Kuang, Geophysicist
 Space Geodesy Branch, Code 926
 NASA Goddard Space Flight Center