[Beowulf] 3com isa and other ethernet adapter : no link

Alexandre Abbes al.abbes at laposte.net
Fri Sep 3 05:31:52 PDT 2004

Hello,
I have a mysterious problem:
I own 3 machines, 2 of theme have 3com 3c509B ethernet isa adapter, and the third has a 3com 3c905 pci ethernet adapter (and another included in the mptherboard which is an asus nvidia nforce one).

If I try to link the to machines with 3c509 isa adapter, I have no problem, machines can talk through the cable.

But If I try to link one of these two machines with the third, connecting it to the 3com 3c905 pci or to the nvidia adaper, I cannot get any link. As a matter of fact, the green led of the pci adapter or the nvidia one does not light up when I plug the crossed cable in.

This happens only if I boot on linux (the machine with 3com isa adapter and the other). But if I boot my machine with isa athernet adapter with window$98, then I get the link.

Other problem, which is related to the latter : I have an ADSL bewan ethernet modem, which does not get any link with the 3com is adapters, but works well with the 3com pci or nvidia adapter. On window$98 I always get the link. Then if I make a soft reboot, I keep it, and I can get my adsl connection to the internet.

I have disabled the plugnplay option with the 3com tool on the 3c509B. I know I don't have any interrupt problem, since I can get the line with another machine.

If anybody has an idea for help, I thank him/her to tell me what he/she thinks of this mystery.

Alexandre Abbes