[Beowulf] Rocks Cluster and 2 Ethernet networks

Timo Mechler mechti01 at luther.edu
Fri Oct 29 23:02:46 PDT 2004

Hi all,

I'm considering installing the Rocks cluster distro on a cluster that uses
only ethernet.  As I understand it, eth0 (or first network interface) is
used for administration and also message passing if no other high speed
interface is present (e.g. myrinet).  My question is, if each of my
compute node have two ethernet interfaces, say eth0 and eth1, can the
cluster be configured that message passing takes place only over eth1?  It
would be nice to have an interface devoted to just message passing.  If it
is possible, how would I go about setting it up?  If it's not possible, is
there are a lot of performance loss due to the fact that other tasks (such
as administration, etc.) are also taking place over eth0?  Thanks in
advance for your help.

-Timo Mechler

--
Timo R. Mechler