[Beowulf] Need Help...!

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Oct 25 01:21:38 PDT 2004

Hi again,

> Thanks alot for the prompt reply. Right at the moment I am asked to
> purchased the following for my cluster:
>
> 1) MPI/Pro by verari systems
> 2) PGI CDK Cluster Development Kit by Portland Group

> Purchasing 100 processes of MPI/Pro is really very expensive for me.
> Similarly, for my 100 processors I have to purchase 256 licences of
> PGI CDK because they offer licences in groups of 16/64/256 CPUs. Even
> if I purchase 256 licences for just 2 simultaneous counts, it costs me
> a lot...

is there a direct use of the cluster features of the PGI CDK? According to
their websites it's just a combination of the compilers, MPICH and a part of
OpenPBS. And OpenMP is also included in standard package of their compilers.

Is your main application to use the compilers for software development or to
use the compiled programs?

So you could just buy one license of the normal compiler, download MPICH at
http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpich and choose a queuing system (maybe
OpenPBS or better) SGE from SUN at http://gridengine.sunsource.net , it's also
free. In contrast to OpenPBS, you can kill the slave processes on the nodes
nicely with SGE and it runs really stable.

Just test the performance with this combination, and you can add MPI/Pro later,
after you tested the performance gain with a demo of it. Because the
performance will also depend on the used network. I don't know the prices of
MPI/pro, but maybe a second dedicaded network only for MPI communication is
also an option and speed up the things (or Myrinet, Infiniband - this depends
on the amount of MPI traffic your applications will generate).

Best greetings - Reuti