[Beowulf] Application Deployment

Dan Kidger daniel.kidger at quadrics.com
Mon Oct 11 00:12:34 PDT 2004

On Sunday 10 October 2004 11:38 pm, Brian D. Ropers-Huilman wrote:

> Mark Hahn said the following on 2004-10-10 10:43:
> | 	- NFS can easily be faster than local disk IO.
>
> How so? Under what configurations, versions, etc.?

easy - Fileserver is RAID and/or Lustre and you have a high bandwidth network.
This can easily outstrip the IO available from a single local disk

This point also crops up when people do ftp (or scp) perfromance tests across
their high BW network (like our QsNet). Unfortunately they end up measuring
and hence reporting the bandwidth of the disks at either end.:-(

Daniel.

Dr. Dan Kidger, Quadrics Ltd.      daniel.kidger at quadrics.com
One Bridewell St., Bristol, BS1 2AA, UK         0117 915 5505