[Beowulf] ammonite

Jack Wathey wathey at salk.edu
Tue Oct 5 14:40:24 PDT 2004

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Jakob Oestergaard wrote:

> On the SMP/UP problem:
>
> Do you have ACPI support in your kernel? Newer kernels can use ACPI for
> parsing SMP information from the motherboard, rather than guess-working
> on the old MP tables at magic locations in memory.  This *could* be
> worth a shot I think.

Here are what I suspect are the relevant lines from the .config file:

CONFIG_ACPI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BUSMGR=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SYS=y
CONFIG_ACPI_CPU=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=y
CONFIG_ACPI_AC=y
CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
CONFIG_ACPI_CMBATT=y
CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=y

So I guess the answer is 'yes'.

> I am 100% sure that your SMP/UP problem has *nothing* to do, what so
> ever, with NFS server contention - either your kernel loads and boots,
> or it doesn't load and boot.  The kernel does not use NFS (or local
> disk) during the early stages of boot, where the processors are set up.
> NFS problems would result in a failed boot, not a missing CPU.
>
> Alternatively, I'd try out 2.4.27 (or 2.6.8.1 if you're feeling lucky),
> your 2.4.20 kernel is *really* dated.

I'll try updating the kernel when I get a chance.  It is, as you say,
rather old now.

Thanks,
Jack