[Beowulf] OT: effective amount of data through gigabit ether?

Michael Will mwill at penguincomputing.com
Mon Oct 4 14:13:57 PDT 2004

On Monday 04 October 2004 01:40 pm, Mike wrote:
> I know this is off topic, but I've not found an answer anywhere.
> On one IBM doc it says the effective throughput for 10Mb/s is
> 5.7GB/hour, 100Mb/s is 17.6GB/hour, but only lists TBD for 1000MB/s.

I would assume 900Mb/s as an optimistic best case throughput for the GigE,
which would be about 395GB/hour.

17.6GB/hour seems like a really low estimate, that would be only
about 40Mb/s effective transfer rate over an 100Mb/s link? Maybe
that number is really measuring the tape writing speed instead?

Michael Will