[Beowulf] raw results

Gerry Creager n5jxs gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Fri Oct 1 07:23:34 PDT 2004

One note:  Please review RFC2544 regarding packet loss and mitigation
for small packets.  We tested a number of switches about 18 months ago
using an Anritsu MD1230 automated tester, and saw a lot of packet loss
in switches that were not crafted for small packets.  Something to consider.

There are manufacturers who have engineered for both jumbo and small
packets.  The tuning for this is not trivial: the problems for small
packets are not well translated to jumbo frames.  As packet size
decreases, overhead increases and the packet transmission rate goes 'way
up.

Jumbo frames may adversely impact switch fabric memory if you're testing
store-and-forward devices not designed with sufficient memory for jumbos
originally.  Option 'B' is fragmentation, removing the benefit of jumbos
immediately.

Thanks, all the same, for posting your results.  We're always interested
in independent reports and independent methods!

Regards,
Gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020