[Beowulf] Dell price (was: Register article on Opteron - disagree)

Michael Will mwill at penguincomputing.com
Mon Nov 22 16:43:26 PST 2004

Is this going to be a public place for bidding?

Dell is not that competitive if you compare other vendors latest prices.
And thats all I want to say about this as a Penguin-employee. Let's keep
the spamm of the list please.

Anybody having done some actual benchmarking to compare the opteron
to an em64t Xeon with 1M cache?

I have notes from last time I checked http://www.spec.org cpu2000 results,
where the 533Mhz FSB style Xeon 3.06Ghz 512k cache compared well in
regards to specint  (16 and 17) and specfp (around 1150) to an Opteron-142
with its 1M cache.

An Opteron-144 (1.8Ghz) clocked in at specint 22, specfp 1219. I wonder what
the impact of the longer pipeline of the 1M Xeons will be for these specific
benchmarks - and of course, how relevant they are to HPC.

Michael