[Beowulf] Register article on Opteron - disagree

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Mon Nov 22 13:01:03 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 03:59, Philippe Blaise wrote:
> Robert G. Brown wrote:

> >  a) It lists identical hardware configurations as many times as they
> >are submitted.  Thus "Geotrace" lists positions 109 through 114 with
> >identical hardware.  If one ran uniq on the list, it would probably end
> >up being the top 200.  At most.
> >
> Do you mean it is 6 times the same cluster ?
> If not, I don't see the problem.

That depends on what you mean by "same".  I believe he is referring to
companies that makes 6 identical clusters with the same hw/sw and sell
them to six major labs.  On-site, the vendor then does an identical
configuration and linpack machine on all the machines and produces the
same results.  (I haven't confirmed it, but I think sometimes the vendor
might send the linpack results from an identical cluster with the
cluster they put together.)  Is it the same physical cluster?  No.  Is
it the same in almost every other sense?  Yes.