[Beowulf] Register article on Opteron - disagree

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Sun Nov 21 21:57:35 PST 2004

Hi John:

  Opteron is a newcomer to the stage.  A stable OS for it has been
available for a relatively short period of time (SuSE, and very late
model RHEL, though it does not shine until you get a 2.6 kernel on
there, so RHEL is out of serious contention until RHEL 4).  SuSE with a
reasonable kernel has only been available for a few months.

  EM64t uses the same northbridge/southbridge design as the Xeon.  This
means that multiprocessors are going to be not very good in SMP
performance, just like the Xeon's (and I am sure some folks will
disagree, but I am thinking of memory bandwidth hungry apps).  The
chipset is the bottleneck.

  Compare that to the Opteron.  SC'04 was chock full of folks showing
off 4 and 8 way Opteron's.  There were other things there not on the
show floor that were *very* interesting.

  I am not sure what impact Nocona will have.  I reserve judgement until
I get to see one/play with one, and see its future path.  Lots of
interesting conversations were had at SC.  The quote from Mark Twain may
be apt.  If a Nocona follow-on follows the design of the Opteron (IOMMU
and HT, among other things), then things could get quite interesting.

Joe