[Beowulf] High Performance for Large Database

Laurence Liew laurence at scalablesystems.com
Mon Nov 15 05:26:13 PST 2004

Hi

The current version of GFS have a 64 node limit.. something to do with
maximum number of connections thru a SAN switch.

I believe the limit could be removed in RHEL v4.

BTW, GFS was built for enterprise and not specifically for HPC... the
use of SAN (all nodes need to be connected to a single SAN storage)..
may be a bottleneck...

I would still prefer the model of PVFS1/2 and Lustre where the data is
distributed amongst the compute nodes

I suspect GFS could prove useful however for enterprise clusters say 32
- 128 nodes where the number of IO nodes (GFS nodes with exported NFS)
can be small (less than 8 nodes)... it could work well

Cheers!
Laurence