[Beowulf] Re: SGE + policy

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Fri May 28 11:07:57 PDT 2004

Robert G. Brown wrote:

> This probably doesn't worry them, because in one sense anybody who uses
> matlab for doing "serious" computations probably needs therapy, and
> clusters are often build for doing serious computations.  However, this
> particular cluster is being built as much to support many students doing
> less serious computations as it is to support work that really should
> probably be done in c.* or f.*, and in a lot of cases the real expense
> is teaching people with little or no real programming experience how to
> convert from a garbage-tolerant interactive environment to a compiled
> language.

You can buy a matlab compiler from mathworks.  Perhaps this would work
better.  There is also some kind of run-time server as well that turns
the code into standalone programs.  I've never used either, but we may
soon.  Experiences with either would be appreciated.

--
Orion Poplawski
System Administrator                   303-415-9701 x222