[Beowulf] SGE + policy

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu May 27 08:13:20 PDT 2004

On Thu, 27 May 2004, Orion Poplawski wrote:

> You can also setup subordinate queues where the queue with priority will
> only accept jobs that will take less than a given time to run.  When a
> short job gets submitted, a long job on the subordinate queue will be
> stopped (SIGSTOP) while the short jobs runs.  Your problem here is that
> the long job will presumably still hold a license.  If matlab has some
> kind of checkpointing function, you could tie that into SGE to release
> the license.

So it WILL manage things with SIGSTOP/SIGCONT.  Good, that's what I was
hoping.  I'll search the docs etc for "subordinate queues" and signals
to see if I can figure out how.

Excellent.

> You can also limit the number of available slots for long running jobs.
>
> SGE can tie into license management through resource monitors to
> determine the number of licenses available.

Also excellent.

As you note, we'll probably have to screw around with the matlab license
manager and issue, but that's a problem with definite bounds and there
are a number of ways to try to solve it if we can't find a solution
already out there.

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu