[Beowulf] Athlon64 / Opteron test

Joe Griffin joe.griffin at mscsoftware.com
Fri May 14 08:25:12 PDT 2004

Hi All,

Originally this thread was about the choice of Athlon vs. Opteron.
But the comparison between Opteron/Intel was brought up.

I wish to state that the best choice is highly dependent
on YOUR application.  I test various CFD and FEM
engineering applications.  I have not only seen differences
when comparing different application programs, but also
when comparing different uses of the same program (say if a
person changes a job from statics to dynamics).  The biggest question
should be how YOUR application is used.

Below is a web site comparing IA32, IA64 (linux and HPUX),  Opteron
and an IBM P655 running AIX.   The site should only be used to
compare hardare platforms when running our software.   I am sure
that Fluent, LSTC/Dyna, Star-CD have similar sites.  I recomend
finding out about the software that you will be using.

MSC.Nastran Hardware comparison:

http://www.mscsoftware.com/support/prod_support/nastran/performance/v04_sngl.cfm

Regards,
Joe Griffin