[Beowulf] Re: Athlon64 / Opteron test

Tim Moore moor007 at bellsouth.net
Thu May 13 15:01:47 PDT 2004

I forgot to respond about Opteron vs Athlon 64...

I have an Athlon 64 laptop and have not been particularly impressed with it
as I have the Opterons.  The Athlon 64 does have some serious thermal
issues.  Now, I must caveat that statement by saying that it is one of the
mobile processors. (Athlon64 3400+).  I run a dual boot with Suse
Professional for AMD64 and Win2K.  I get OK performance when running alpha
and beta codes on the linux side.  Linux reports the processor as an 800 MHz
CPU. It seems to get better performance under Win2K... I do not know that it
does, it is just my perception.

My recommendation is to spend your money on opterons when choosing between
them and Athlon64.

Tim Moore
Chief Scientist, TCG