[Beowulf] Errors on IBM e325

Jeff Layton jeffrey.b.layton at lmco.com
Mon Jun 28 09:50:41 PDT 2004

Michael Will wrote:

>Was this not tested before it was deployed? Or is it a problem that only
>recently developed?

Well supposedily it was tested before deployment. We're seeing these
errors (among others) on a number of nodes at random times. :(

>It sounds similar to http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-amd64/2003-Sep/0063.html
>suggesting that you should make sure that you run the latest kernel, and if the problem
>persists is a case for your service contract. (i.E. hardware broken)

Well, I hate to say it, but it's not SuSE. It's the other guy :) The
kernel is only 2.4.21 but has been patched quite a bit. The NUMA
patches are in there, but not built in the binary kernel. I'm not sure
if we will continue to get support if we rebuild the kernel with
NUMA activated (out IT people require support at all times).

>also see http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~weixl/research/fast-mon/arch/x86_64/kernel/bluesmoke.c

I'll try this code to see what it finds out.

Thanks!

Jeff

--
Dr. Jeff Layton