[Beowulf] broken binutils (was: Redmond is at it, again)

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pathscale.com
Fri Jun 18 15:20:03 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 02:24:50PM -0700, Martin Siegert wrote:

> I do wonder however, why ld.so always gets loaded at the 1GB boundary
> therefore limiting stack space to less than 1GB.

The problem is that you can't just say "put some stuff at the bottom
growing up, and the rest at the top growing down." There are more than
2 things to place, there are actually 4: the program code (bottom,
fixed size), the heap (above the bottom, grows), the stack (top,
grows), and the shared libraries and mmap() areas. These latter two
have to go someplace in the middle. Wherever they go, both the stack
and the heap are going to be limited to a max size.

So it's not broken... it's just a sad fact of life.

In 64 bits, you have plenty of room for everything.

-- greg