[Beowulf] Re: Redmond is at it, again

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Thu Jun 10 09:05:21 PDT 2004

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 at 11:36am, Robert G. Brown wrote

> can improve by 10-20% from that.  Finally, in C one can implement linear
> algebra code in particular using ATLAS, which can all by itself speed
> operations up by as much as a factor of three.

Actually, Matlab's lapack *is* ATLAS.  They provide several copies of it,
compiled for different processors, that get called based on a runtime
architecture check.  My R13 install has atlas_Athlon.so, atlas_P4.so,
atlas_PII.so, atlas_PIII.so, and atlas_PPro.so.  In addition, there are
directions floating about for compiling your own optimized ATLAS on your
particular box and substituting that for the ones that come with Matlab.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering