[Beowulf] MPI Implementations for SMP use

Eric Thibodeau kyron at jrtad.com
Wed Dec 15 12:56:05 PST 2004

Probably opening up another can of worms but, you might want to seriously consider a hybrid (MPI + OpenMP or Pthreads) approach in the case of SMP machines. Local exeution of OpenMP generated code is considerably faster than the locally executed MPI equivalent. PThreads will give you even more gain but requires some code modification (as opposed to OpenMP code if you stick to the #pragma approach).

With the advent of HT processors and more affordable dual motherboards comming on the market, threading cumputation loops (hybrid approach) will become a more and more "logical" approach in structuring parallel programs.

Cheers,

Eric

"Andrew D. Fant" <fant at pobox.com> wrote ..