[Beowulf] Opteron with PCI Express

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Wed Dec 15 00:07:31 PST 2004

Alan Louis Scheinin wrote:

>Maurice W. Hilarius wrote:
>  > Also has PCI Express 16X, and there are already dual
>  > Opteron Socket 940 with this chipset.
>  > Look, for example at the Tyan S2895 which just came out.
>Where did it come out, Australia?  The Tyan site has an
>announcement of an announcement to be made in November in
>Australia but I don't see a followup of the content of the
>announcement and I do not see the S2895 listed among the
>Opteron products.
>
>    Of course, marketing is not the role of beowulf mailing list
>members, but PCI Express with Opteron is interesting, so indications
>of COTS boards is useful.  (For example, some developers here program
>the GPU (graphics chip) and the faster I/O of PCI expr

Tyan has boards arriving in their USA warehouse as of the 15th of December.
PCI Express is especially interesting in HPC as many of the advanced
network boards are now coming out in PCI Express interface.
GbE and Infiniband already, and Myrinet, and others soon.
As we have already hit the wall of PCI-X with these devices, Express
adds a significant improvement in bandwidth and latency.

Opteron HTX will add even more performance when it come out in 2005.

The main reason I posted is that I thought it significant that the first
Opteron dual board with PCI-Express is finally out.

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius        Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.  FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue         email:maurice at harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada       http://www.harddata.com/
   T5X 1Y3

This email, message, and content, should be considered confidential,
and is the copyrighted property of Hard Data Ltd., unless stated otherwise.