[Beowulf] Picking a processor

Mark Westwood mark.westwood at ohmsurveys.com
Mon Dec 13 02:00:23 PST 2004

Hi

I think you'll find at least the beginning of what you want on the
Top500 site (you have found that haven't you ?).  Many of the results
reported there are measured in Gflops.

For theoretical performance figures the processor manufacturers
web-sites are usually informative.

Regards
Mark Westwood

SF Husain wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm currently designing a beowulf style parallel processor and am trying to
> decide which processor to use for the nodes. My project requires my final
> design for the parallel processor to be able to provide a sustained throuput
> of 0.25 TFlops.
>
> My research tells me that in general that the flop rate scales up linearly.
> My trouble is that I'm having trouble finding estimates for the flop rates
> of the processors I'm looking at.
>
> I've looked at the specfp2000 results but as far as I can tell their numbers
> do not easily convert to a flop rate. Could anyone tell me how I can find
> estimates for the flop rates of processors or if there is any rough sort of
> conversion that I can do on these spec (or any other) benchmark results.
>
> I'm aware that the actual rate is dependent on type of work given  to the
> processors. However my project is only a design exercise aimed at developing
> research skills so even a very rough conversion or sourse of sample results
> would be suitable for my purposes.
>
> If anyone could help that would be great.
>
> Thanks
>
> Sufi

Mark Westwood
Software Engineer