[Beowulf] Password less ssh

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Wed Dec 8 06:27:04 PST 2004

Suvendra Nath Dutta wrote:
> On this note, I know this has been rehashed many times before, but using
> OpenSSH 3.8 on SUSE 9.1, I couldn't get host authentication to work. I
> followed all the instructions out in the web but everything failed. I
> ended up copying the root's dsa key to every user's ssh directory and
> using public-key authentication. Has someone successfully implemented
> host authentication using SSH (hopefully v2)

Yes

and has written it up in a
> nice How To?

No :)

Some stuff that might be useful:

in ssh_config:

HostbasedAuthentication yes
EnableSSHKeysign yes  # This may not be needed, depending on your
version of ssh

and the 'HostbasedAuthentication' flag needs to be set in sshd_config as
well.

You also need to make sure all the appropriate keys are in
/etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts

And /etc/ssh/shosts.equiv needs to be setup.  I did mine with netgroups.

And if you want root to be able to ssh in with host based, you need to
setup /root/.shosts as well.

I did this on RHL9 and RHEL3.