[Beowulf] mpich on OS X

Glen Beane beaneg at gandalf.umcs.maine.edu
Thu Aug 26 06:20:53 PDT 2004

I got this fix from Bill Gropp at ANL:

In the OS X environment, some compilers and loaders make global
variables that are not initialized at compile time into a special kind
of symbol that the loader ignores when it is defined in a library.  This
without doubt violates the spirit and probably the letter of the C
standard, but it is the way OS X works.  There is a work around which is
to execute

ranlib -c libraryname

e.g.,

cd /Users/admin/mpich-1.2.6/lib && ranlib -c libmpich.a
(and all other libraries in that directory).