[Beowulf] Good Grid Computing classes?

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Fri Aug 13 15:47:28 PDT 2004

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Michael Jastram wrote:

> My employer has an educational assistance program, and I would like to
> learn more about Grid Computing and Clusters, as well as tools like
> Beowulf, Ganglia, PBS, etc.  Can anybody on this list recommend
> classes, or point me to resources?

Well, you just missed a two day class last week in San Francisco,
scheduled to allow people to attend LinuxWorld Expo.
The next east coast class is in October in the D.C. area.  The
D. C. courses are usually held in McLean VA, although we have held them
in Annapolis.

> SKILL LEVEL: I have the equivalent of an MS in CS, and quite a bit of
> working knowledge with PBS and basic cluster administration, as well
> as sold programming, (shell) scripting and system administration
> skills.

Are you interested in cluster/grid principles of operation?  Or the
details of programming?

Our regularly scheduled courses are focused around understanding how a
cluster operates. I personally think that it's a more useful course for
most people.

In our programming course 80% is still focused around MPI, and are
usually given on a as-requested basis.  I say "still"
because I see the challenge changing from "how do I communicate" to "how
can I make this a deployable application".  That means focusing on
   - mapping processes of a job effectively
   - starting, monitoring and controlling those processes
   - configuring to meet the file system and I/O requirement of the
     application
   - handling checkpoint and output files, especially in the face of
     potential failures

Donald Becker				becker at scyld.com
Scyld Software	 			Scyld Beowulf cluster systems
914 Bay Ridge Road, Suite 220		www.scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993