[Beowulf] How to Monitor a cluster thru internet

Ken Linder kc7rad at radstream.com
Mon Aug 9 08:14:52 PDT 2004

On my first cluster, I installed Apache and PHP on the head node, allowing the outside world to access that machine through my cable/DSL router (port forwarding).  My cable modem ISP would only allow dynamic IPs so, what I did was set up a cron job on the head node that hit my webserver every 4 hours.  The webserver was a typical shared hosting box, with a live static IP.  The webserver would record the IP from the head node and save it.  Now, Anyone wishing to see the cluster's status could browse to a certain page on my webserver.  That page was a PHP program that used the saved IP address of my cable modem/cluster to call PHP programs on the head node and query its status.  I even had plans to use that same concept to control the cluster remotely.

Alternately, if you don't want to clutter your head node with Apache and PHP, you could use another machine in the cluster.

Hope this helps
Ken - KC7RAD
www.radstream.com/kenclust.html