Dual-Athlon Cluster Problems

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Mon Jan 27 05:46:45 PST 2003

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003, Ben Ransom wrote:

> It is still curious to me, that we can run other codes on Dolphin SCI and
> showing 100% cpu utilization (full power/heat) on a ring away from a
> suspect SCI card.  This implies the reliability is code dependant, as other
> have alluded.  I spose this may be due to the amount of message
> passing?  Hopefully the problem will disappear once we get our full Dolphin
> set in working order.

Our code dependent reliability problems don't involve either Dolphin or
MPI, but I think they may be real.  The problem is reproducibility and
extensibility.  If the problem is really a memory leak or instruction
bug in the fortran compiler (absent in e.g. gcc) then one would have to
be able to test lots of compilers on lots of systems on the same code,
and until one had GREAT statistics and reproducibility one would still
be left wondering if it were really a hardware problem associated with
bad cooling fans, bad memory DIMMS, etc etc on just some of the nodes.

As it is, I can run my jobs (in gcc) on both our 2460 and 2466 nodes
until the cows come home with only >>very<< rare crashes, probably
hardware-related incidents.  Another group here has maybe 4x my crash
rate running their fortran-based code.

Another problem is that it is amazingly difficult to isolate pure
programmer error from all this.  The other group is running Fortran
because their code base (used to do high energy nuclear theory, e.g.
lattice gauge computations) has been written by generations of graduate
students in dozens of universities and nobody alive knows or has
properly certified all its subroutines and aspects.  OTOH, I personally
wrote all the code I use (and don't even use a lot of prebuilt numerical
library code, although that is changing with the GSL being fairly good
and reliable).  If my code crashes habitually, I have a prayer of
debugging the crash point.  If one of their routines leaks or manages to
tweak some deep weakness in kernel or device enabled by some (mis)use of
a system call, how can they know?

   rgb