Cluster programming...

Kumaran Rajaram kums at CS.MsState.EDU
Wed Jan 22 09:21:59 PST 2003

Karl,

   What version of NFS are you using ?? File locking is supposed to
disable all client-side and server-side caching enabling file-writes to
take place immediately at the NFS server. On some NFS versions fcntl()
locks do not function correctly. Hence in order to ensure file
consistency, try installing NFSv3 and mount it with 'noac' option. NFSv3
ensures data-consistency (through stronger file-locking semantics) and
the 'noac'attribute ensures metadata consistency. Enabling 'noac' option
might hurt the I/O performance, but file consistency is guaranteed.

Cheers,
-Kums

-- Kumaran Rajaram, Mississippi State University --
kums at cs.msstate.edu  <http://www.cs.msstate.edu/~kums>