question about Intel P4 versus Alpha's

Wade Hampton wade.hampton at nsc1.net
Fri Jan 10 10:22:32 PST 2003

Dominic Wu wrote:

>Is HT anything more than a thinly-veiled attempt at luring more software
>developers to develop multi-threaded applications so as to help Intel sell
>more CPU in the future?  (I.E. the new fangled software that is optimized
>for HT can really benefit from additional REAL processors instead of using
>just HT?)

Its all marketing....  However HT **should** improve
performance of some apps. especially if the scheduler
is fixed.  My testing on 2.4.17 SCYLD has shown that
2 jobs on a computer with 2 CPUS with HT enabled
sometimes takes much longer than on the same  box
w/o HT (I have one test node with HT enabled).  However
this same box sometimes performs better....  This
appears to be scheduler related (I am controlling the
jobs I send to the nodes).

BTW, anyone using the 2.4.19/20
HT patches and where can I get them?  I saw a link
some time back....

Cheers,
--
Wade Hampton